d.1654 in Walton, Buckingham, England
|Sir Richard Colt Hoare|
d.18xx in Stourhead, , England
Often referred to as the “Banking Hoare’s” as they are the founding, and still controlling, family of the private Hoare’s Bank in London. As a result, one of the more modern day “known” families; especially in the 1800’s. Includes Hoare families in Middlesex, Surrey, Wilts and Essex. The main source of knowledge on the family, Sir Richard Colt Hoare, is from Stourhead (Manor) in Wilts; now a National Trust site. His earliest ancestor he could find is Henry Hoare of Walton d.1654.
Sir Richard includes the Risford Manor Hore’s of Devon in the first four pages of his work but states he is not sure if they are linked or not. Like others, he notes the similar / same Coat of Arms used by both families. He suspects his EKA Henry may be the brother of William who sold the Risford Manor in 1630. The similar Coat of Arms used in documents is the same argument made by genealogists researching Hezekiah Hoar’s line to link Thomas Hore of Axminster to Robert Hore of Risford Manor; but was not accepted by the college of heraldry when presented with this evidence in the 1990’s.
Sir Richard Colt Hoare became a historian of nearby Stonehenge and his surrounding areas; as well as Italy and other subjects. He published many books on these topics in his time.
* Family member DNA tested; placed in group (YDNA-STR and/or Autosomal SNP aka FamilyFinder)
** DNA test results pending; believed group based on genealogical work only
No descendants have been tested. No current descendants contacted. Robert stopped going back at William Henry, b.1776 and has not taken the work back further. Not clear if he is a descendant or simply a fan who did not have access to Sir Richard Colt’s book.
|Sir Richard Colt Hoare|
- Hoare, Sir Richard Colt, Pedigrees and memoirs of the families of Hore, of Rushford, co. Devon; Hoare of Walton, co. Bucks; Hoare, of London, co. Middlesex; Hoare, of Mitcham, co. Surrey; Hoare, of Stourton, co. Wilts.; Hoare, of Barn-Elms, co. Surrey; Hoare, of Boreham, Essex, 1819, Bath, England (Stourton) (see WorldCat for 7 copies cataloged in various libraries in UK, Australia and Sweden). Scanned Copy and 2-Sided, 8.5x11 now available.
- Hoare, Sir Richard, A Journal of Shrievalty, published in 1815 by his grandson Sir Richard Colt Hoare by Richard Cruttwell, Bath, England (see WorldCat for 2 of the 25 copies printed)
- C. Hoare & Co., Hoare’s Bank; A Record: 1673-1932, 1932, private printing,London, England; 2nd Edition 1955 Collins(see WorldCat; in many libraries) (note: some attribute this book to one of the partners: Henry P. R. Hoare. But both editions appear to be anonymous with the foreword signed simply by the bank itself. Hence, likely both editions out of copyright but verifying.)
- Hutchings, Victoria, ’‘Messrs Hoare Bankers: A History of the Hoare Banking Dynasty”, 2005, Constable, London, 240pp (WorldCat)
- Sir Richard Colt Hoare
- Sir Richard Hoare