An early New World family from Southwest England. Hezekiah Hoar arrived on the ship Recovery in 1633 from Plymouth, England to the Massachusetts Bay Colony as a Puritan emigrant. He went back one or more times to help fight the King’s repression; it has been reported but not fully verified. At some point he brought Rebekah back over and they settled, permanently, in New England; starting in the early 1640’s we believe.
Based on the published work, this line should be identified with the Earliest Known Ancestor (EKA) of Thomas Hore of Axminster, b.14xx — five generations before Hezekiah. But most recognize and identify the family with Hezekiah, the immigrant and his colonial family made known by Norton Horr’s book of the line in 1907.
This family is in stark contrast to the other early New World (Charles Hoare) line which has many notable, learned people of the time. This line has few notable persons through the years. Mostly hardworking, likely uneducated farmers who move west for better opportunity as the frontier opens up.
The Sub-Branches identified to the right are linked into Hezekiah by the following lineages. These sub-branches represent active autosomal study projects to link more recent, non-patrilineal descendants into the patrilineal line. Match up below with the corresponding researcher to understand who may be running the study. Only publicly available sub-branches are detailed below. Private sub-branches are explained on their page directly.
|Code||Descendant||Lineage from Hezekiah|
|B18||John Horr b1767 Massachusetts, d1856 Maine||John Horr5, Philip Horr4, Isaac Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|B19||Peter Horr b1819 Ohio||Peter Horr 7, Robert Hoar6, Robert Hoar5, Robert Hoar4, Samuel Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|B24||Shadrach Hanson (Hoar)||Shadrach (Hoar) Hanson4, Jonathan Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|B20||William “Piri Hoa” Hoar(d), b1801 Chester Vermont, USA||William “Piri Hoa” Hoar(d)6, Hezekiah Hoar5, William Hoar4, Hezekiah Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
Lyon Jackson “Jack” Hoard’s personal research, along with work he funded with Genealogists Hugh Peskett and Ken Smallbone, indicates that Hezekiah is 5 generations removed from the Rishford Manor, Chagford family. Robert Hore, b.1440 is the supposed last of Hezekiah’s ancestors to be born at Risford Manor. After that, oldest son William stays at the manor and younger son Thomas moves to Axminster to start Hezekiah’s line. This connection was investigated thoroughly; although not enough proof demonstrated to get the College of Heraldry to register this branch of the family by Jack. DNA testing may become the only evidence available to resolve this. Even the document with a seal that Ken Smallbone found has since been lost.
Many originally identified Hezekiah as being directly from Chagford, Devon, England; thinking he came from the Risford Manor family directly and was the non-inheriting sibling of the final Hore family owner of the manor. We now know that to be incorrect. Norton Horr, Sir Richard Colt Hoare, and others found records of the Risford Manor Hore line and they, along with others, surmised it could be where their line (i.e. Hezekiah born 1608) came from. But none had any real documentary proof of a link. Similarly, today, many of the family lines in this surname project have linked to this Risford Manor Hore line. Most because they hit a dead end and it was easy to simply surmise a connection. Hopefully DNA testing will help sort this all out.
yDNA STR testing has:
- found three definitive “cousins” of Hezekiah in neighboring towns (B08, B11 and B21). We are working to find the genealogical records that figure out how to tie these lines together.
- found that Tim Peterman was correct in his detailed research that placed James Horr, b.xxxx Ohio into the Charles Hoare line instead of here under Robert 3rd and Lavina Hamm. Testing of two of James’ descendants place both directly in with Charles Hoare descendants.
- showed that Peter Horr, b.1819abt in Ohio is definitely a descendant of Hezekiah Hoar. Records research and autosomal testing indicates Peter is likely an undocumented son of Robert Horr 3rd and Lavina Hamm. This whole branch with Robert and Lavina was not known to exist until recent research by Joyce, Roz and Donna.
- shown a few others that the research by Roz that links their EKA into Hezekiah’s line is very likely given their DNA match here
About 40 trees in Ancestry incorrectly list Hezekiah Hoar’s surname as Hoard. And they list his father and further back ancestors with this surname as well. The change from Hoar to Hoard was made by a very small portion of Hezekiah’s descendants in North America. And a few generations after him. In some cases over 150 years later. There are no records to support the Hoard surname reaching back into England with this family line.
Hezekiah had 9 children but only 3 of them were boys. Many have connected to either the sons Nathaniel or Hezekiah lines. None to son Edward. We are still working to find descendants of the girls to figure out how to Autosomal DNA test them to show the link as well. This is too distant a defining ancestor for Autosomal testing to have any likelihood of matching.
|DESCENDANTS OF SON NATHANIEL|
|Roz Edson *Y||RW||Site (old)||Joseph Horr6, John Horr5, Philip Horr4, Isaac Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Elaine Cook *A|| Ralph Chauncey Horr6, John Hoar5, Elijah Hoar4, Jonathan Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
(Branches from Norton Horr’s Grandfather)
|Randy Harr *YA||DB||Site||Robert Hoar6, Robert Hoar5, Robert Hoar4, Samuel Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
(Descent from Hezekiah proved via DNA; descent from Robert 3rd still to be proven but very likely.)
|Donna Jaster||RW||Robert Hoar6, Robert Hoar5, Robert Hoar4, Samuel Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Joyce Selix *A||RW||Site1, Site2(arch)||Warren Horr6, Robert Hoar5, Robert Hoar4, Samuel Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Susan Krueger *YA||Israel Horr6, Robert Hoar5, Robert Hoar4, Samuel Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Ronna Roberts +||Mun, Ancy||Ben. War. Horr6, Peter Horr5, William Hoar4, Samuel Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|DESCENDANTS OF SON HEZEKIAH|
|Jose J Hoard *Y||(Arch)||Alonzo Hoard6, John Hoar5, William Hoar4, Hezekiah Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
(Lyon Jackson “Jack” Hoard’s son)
|Charlotte Jack||RW||Calvin Hoard6, Hezekiah Hoar5, William Hoar4, Hezekiah Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Jeff Hoard||Geni||Roderick Hoard6, Hezekiah Hoar5, William Hoar4, Hezekiah Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Lia Julia Rapira||B20|| William “Piri Hoa” Hoar(d)6, Hezekiah Hoar5, William Hoar4, Hezekiah Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
(Active investigation to prove genealogy theory with DNA. William married into a Māori line in New Zealand.)
|Gordon Hoard *Y||Parda Hoard6, Pardee Hoard5, Simeon Hoard4, Edward Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Sandra Hoard||RW||Site(Arch)||Edward Hoard6, Edward Hoard5, Isaac Hoard4, Edward Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
(as of Fall 2012, Sandra has pulled her site offline. Hopefully temporarily.)
|Debra McKrill *A||Ancy||Amos L Hoard6, George Hoard5, George Cole Hoard4, Edward Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|DESCENDANTS OF SON Edward|
|DESCENDANTS OF DAUGHTERS|
|Susan Davis *A||Nathan “Allen” Willis6, Stoughton Willis5, Stoughton Willis4, Abigail Strong3, Sarah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
** DNA test results pending; believed group based on genealogical work only
+: DNA test results are indicating we need to move descendants to the Charles Hoare (B00) line.
Pink for female in lineage, italic for portion of line that is not patrilineal,
pink, bold, italic for female that starts the break from a patrilineal line (daughter of patrilineal line)
|Norton Townsend Horr||Charles Horr7, Roswell Horr6, John Hoar5, Elijah Hoar4, Jonathan Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Lyon Jackson Hoard||Site||Alonzo Hoard6, John Hoar5, William Hoar4, Hezekiah Hoar3, Hezekiah Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
|Edward Weed Horr||Edward Weed Horr8, Asa Horr7, Isaac Horr6, Robert Hoar5, Robert Hoar4, Samuel Hoar3, Nathaniel Hoar2, Hezekiah Hoar1|
- Horr, Norton Townshend.; A Record of Descendants of Hezekiah Hoar of Taunton, Massachusetts with an Historical Introduction, 1907, Cleveland, Ohio, privately published, 56pp
- Archive.org scan from Boston Public Library copy. Noted as being Author’s copy. Includes hand corrected errata and updates in the original pages and an additional bound-in 100 numbered pages of notes, errata, additions,collected signatures and further research. Also inserted in back some personal correspondence and photos. B&W optimized version for laser printers and enhanced Table of Contents of this author’s copy created and available.
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City. With a letter from William Spencer Horr dated May, 1934 indicating a later re-publication and clean-up.
- Hoard, Lyon J., The English Ancestry of Hezekiah Hoar of Taunton, Mass., New England Historic and Genealogical Record (NEHGR), 1987 (Vol 141, Jan 1987), p22-33 (copyrighted)
- Smallbone, Ken, The English Ancestry of Hezekiah Hoar of Taunton, Massachusetts, Part II: Proof of Medieval Ancestry Through Evidence of a Seal, NEHGR, 1990 (Vol 144, April 1990). p143-146 (copyrighted)
- Smallbone, Ken, The Double-Headed Eagle: The Medieval Ancestry of Hezekiah Hoar of Taunton, Massachusetts, draft copy, April 1997 (in possession of Jose Hoard)
- Hoard, Lyon J, The Ancestry of William Hoar of Chester, Vermont, NEHGR, 1988 (Vol 142, Jan 1988), p17-24 (copyrighted)
- Hoard, Lyon J, Alonzo Hoard (1816-1891) of Vermont, New York, Wisconsin, and South Dakota; Proof of Ancestry without Birth, Marriage, or Estate Records, National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol 56, 1958, pp212-217 (copyrighted)
- Hoard, Lyon J., Hoar-Lawton-Southworth and Connections, NEHGR, 1980 (Vol 134, April 1980), p115-120 (copyrighted)
- Hoard, Lyon J., Lyon J. Hoard papers 1330-1974, NEHGS Library
- Bradner, Frank W., Horr (Hoar) genealogy : the descendants of Elijah Horr & Anna Paddock, 2003, Book in FHL
- Horr, Edward Weed, Family Bible of Edward Weed Horr and Janie T. Rodman, 1963, Microfilm at FHL
- Horr, Edward Weed, Journal of E. W. Horr, 1963, Microfilm at FHL
- Horr, Edward Weed, and McGee, Juliette, Vital statistics : never before published records of far western Kentucky, records compiled over a half century by E.W. Horr, 1977, Riverfolk Publishing, Book at FHL
- Links to Devon(shire) which includes Chagford village and Rushford Manor just north of it. Also see Devon Index.
- Duis, E. The good old times in McLean County, Illinois : containing two hundred and sixty-one sketches of old settlers, a complete historical sketch of the Black Hawk war and descriptions of all matters of interest relating to McLean? County, 1874 (archive.org) (specifically check out the sketch on Josiah Horr on pages 750-751)
- History of Vermilion County, together with historic notes on the Northwest, gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscripts, private and official correspondence, and other authentic, though, for the most part, out-of-the-way sources, 1879 (archive.org) (specifically, check out write-up by Matilda or Nancy Horr, or their descendent, on pages 670-674)
- , Samuel and Susanna (Pierce) Hoar family (1743-1832) contained in Lincoln, MA family Bible records, 1909. 51 pp, NEHGS Library,
- , Samuel Hoar and Rebekah Pierce in Bible record for the Samuel Hoar family, 1748-1796. 2pp, NEHGS Library
- Check out the Great Migration Project that is part of the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS). Collected many of the published works on Hezekiah from the NEHGR together. Requires paid membership or library with such to access online database. See also hardbound book series, volume III specifically, entitled The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, Series 2.
- Weston, Thomas, “History of the Town of Middleboro, Massachusetts”, 1906, Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 792pp (archive.org) (ForgottenBooks) — many references to the families of Hoar, Pierce and others. Note has Charles Hoare line here as well.
- Osman, Loren H., W.D. Hoard: A Man For His Time, 1985, Hoard’s Dairyman Books, 451pp, (GoogleBooks)
- Josiah Horr
- an early leader in Illinois and helped found the county Champaigne in both Illinois and Ohio before that. He is noted as giving Abraham Lincoln his first job and case as a lawyer.
- William Dempster Hoard, b.1836 NY, d.1918 (Wikipedia)
- Ruth Mae Millette nee Farris, b1895 St Louis, MO (aka Ruth Silbon) and her children Jimmy and Penny Millette
- Aerialists in the Ringling-Brothers and related circus shows (1910’s through 1950’s)
- Daughter of Surilda “Rilla” Farris nee Horr, Great-Granddaughter of Peter Horr
- Janis Lyn Joplin, b1943 Port Arthur, TX (Wikipedia, FamousKin)
- Blues/Rock singer of the 1960’s
- Grand-daughter of Laura Hanson; 4xGreat-Granddaughter of William Hanson (ne Hoar)
- Earl Kenneth “Ken” Forsse, b1936 Bellwood, Nebraska (Wikipedia)
- Inventor of Teddy Ruxpin; worked for Walt Disney
- Grandson of Anna Forsse nee Horr; Great-Grandson of Peter Horr